On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 12:48 PM, Sebastián Gurin
<sebastigu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wonder if somebody tried to compile lucy to JavaScript with
> http://emscripten.org (C/C++ to JavaScript compiler).

I am not aware of such an effort.

> Also I wonder if the clownfish thing won't
> make it difficult to perform such translation. So, before I tried, I
> would like to know your thoughts.

Clownfish would probably take some effort to adapt for this purpose.
If I were to take on this task (and I did not want to spend the effort
to familiarize myself with Clownfish first), I'd treat it like a loose
port: create an empty directory alongside Lucy and flesh out new .c
and .h files bit by bit, selecting out pieces to copy or munge, always
maintaining optimum emscripten target output.

Start by having an Indexer commit a Snapshot.  Then add a DocWriter
which does variable length records of key-value pairs. Next, create an
IndexReader module which delegates to a DocReader module to fetch
documents from the store.

You can leave the inverted indexing modules and locking code for
later, because the fundamental data structures and decomposition
strategies of Lucy are sound.

The result wouldn't really be Lucy, and wouldn't be immediately
contributable to Lucy. Instead, it would have the same relation to
Lucy as Lucy had to the original Lucene when it was ported. As the
exercise moves on and you become more familiar with Lucy's problem
domain and its implementation choices, you can decide what direction
you want to take.

Marvin Humphrey