First issue, one does not simply just start using a develop branch.  CI
only triggers off the 'main' branch, which is master by default.  If we
move to the way you propose, then we need to file a ticket with INFRA I
believe.  That can be done, but its not like we just start doing it one
day.

The current method is, when we cut a release- we make a new branch of that
release. Master is treated like dev. If you want the latest stable, you
would check out branch-0.13.0 .  This is the way most major projects
(citing Spark, Flink, Zeppelin), including Mahout up to version 0.10.x
worked.  To your point, there being a lack of a recent stable- that's fair,
but partly that's because no one created branches with the release for
0.10.? - 0.12.2.

For all intents and purposes, we are (now once again) following what you
propose, the only difference is we are treating master as dev, and
"branch-0.13.0" as master (e.g. last stable).  Larger features go on their
own branch until they are ready to merge- e.g. ATM there is just one
feature branch CUDA.  That was the big take away from this discussion last
time- there needed to be feature branches, as opposed to everyone running
around either working off WIP PRs or half baked merges, etc.  To that end-
"website" was a feature branch, and iirc there has been one other feature
branch that has merged in the last couple of months but I forget what it
was at the moment.

Trevor Grant
Data Scientist
https://github.com/rawkintrevo
http://stackexchange.com/users/3002022/rawkintrevo
http://trevorgrant.org

*"Fortunate is he, who is able to know the causes of things."  -Virgil*