Also, for maven releases, I have to configure my .m2/settings.xml and
add a configuration/credentials for the repos...

        <!-- To publish a snapshot of some part of Maven -->
        <server>
            <id>apache.snapshots.https</id>
            <username>user</username>
            <password>...</password>
        </server>
        <!-- To stage a release of some part of Maven -->
        <server>
            <id>apache.releases.https</id>
            <username>user</username>
            <password>...</password>
        </server>

Having said that, I have not done a pure sbt release to apache...