Yes, I do think plugins should have some sort of "ordinal" value associated
to them. However, I am not sure if I like the proposed patch because it
infers the order out of the plugin's <id> attribute (ex: step1, step2).
Certainly such a feature could work, but it hits that wall in Maven
development land: no one wants/can add new elements to the POM. Ideally,
there would be another element, like <order>, to control this.

Cheers,
Paul