Robert has looked into this in more detail, and think the trail points back
into SCM. As per info I've added to the JIRA, it is not caused by git
barking at the release.properties and pom.xml.xxx file; if you add those to
.gitignore, they disappear from the scene, but it still does not work. I'm
hoping Robert will add more analysis here or to the JIRA.