On 14 October 2014 05:01, Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.bout...@free.fr> wrote:
> Le lundi 13 octobre 2014 09:25:17 Olivier Lamy a écrit :
>> Hi,
>> You mean with the new setup the build will fail because of a checkstyle
>> issue?
> yes, it will fail because of an issue reported by Checkstyle, as we configured
> its checking rules
>
>> I personally find really hard for a "style" problem. (i.e something
>> not related to a real technical problem).
> 1. not every Checkstyle rules are about "style" problem

Well... As long as I don't have to write the final twice per single
line of code in order to transform the code to a non human readable, I
will be fine. :-)
I hope that won't be the case...

> 2. if we configured Checkstyle to report an error, this means check should
> fail: if you find that it should not fail, please help improve Checkstyle
> configuration by setting severity to warning only

/me not a checkstyle expert configuration :-)
/me asking himself if having such hard checkstyle requirement help to
improve user experience.

Yes I know I'm French so I usually grumble for every changes happening :P

> I know that the first check will give a lot of work to fix long-standing
> issues
> But once the big fix has been done, it's a question of doing the little work
> apply our required conventions on daily operations: nothing really hard
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé

>> > notice that these are errors *reported by* Checkstyle, not really
>> > Checkstyle errors
>> >
>> > Checkstyle should add "don't shoot the messenger" disclaimer ;)
>> >

>> > I report here because next maven-parent version will enable Checkstyle
>> > check on every build: we must all know that we chose the rules that
>> > Checkstyle will report to us. If some rules are too strict, perhaps we'll
>> > need to relax them, but be prepared to avoid blaming Checkstyle :)
>> >

>> > Notice I prepared some escape ways when checkstyle:check will be run on
>> > each build, to limit frustration:
>> >
>> > 1. verify phase only, to let us concentrate on making code work before
>> > fixing broken coding conventions
>> >
>> > 2. @SuppressWarning support (MCHECKSTYLE-241) to ignore individual rules
>> > directly into source code
>> >
>> > 3. CHECKSTYLE_OFF/ON support (MCHECKSTYLE-247) to ignore rules on complete
>> > code fragments when necessary
>> >
>> > 4. fine grained global rule or even rule category (MCHECKSTYLE-242) to
>> > ignore rules or rule categories of a whole build with a single property
>> > in pom.xml
>> >

>> > I hope everybody will enjoy maven-parent 25 like me...
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Hervé

Olivier Lamy