Here is what Brian gave to us :

{quote}
I’ve attached the (unreviewed) patch that is slated for Java 8 — this is
the runtime-only, with no dev tools support (e.g., jar, jar signer,
compiler.)  So it will let you RUN with an mvjar.  I can send you the 9
patch as well if you like.  Usual disclaimer — no guarantees, blah blah
blah.    You can create an mvjar with an unmodified JAR tool just by laying
out the files appropriately in the file system (eg., with a
META-INF/versions dir.)
{quote}

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/501043/webrev.zip

With this J8 patch yo should be able to have a working runtime but for the
build tool we have to hack with several manual compilations

--
-----