Yep, that's getting pretty deep! If the clone(s???? where's the s?) has
been done poorly (monolithically or otherwise brokenly) then the only
sensible option is to do it again. The right approach is the slow one, per
slice, otherwise the tags don't make sense. Trying to do this after the
fact from a monolithic clone sounds hideously painful.