Joining this discussion...

Based on my experience when I joined, Maven core and maven plugins are
different beasts. Sure, if you understand the inner parts of Maven core it
is easier to understand plugins, but core also depends on many different
libraries which handle different aspects of the logic.

Many of us here have limited knowledge of the core code base and work
mostly on plugins, and a few (any?) the other way around. And for plugins
there are quite a few of them; here and at other places. So you really need
to start thinking about which area you want to start looking at. Personally
I started with plugins and then eventually looked at some specifics in core.

/Anders

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 9:08 AM, Karl Heinz Marbaise <khmarba...@gmx.de>
wrote:

> Hi Larry,
>
> it would be nice if you start working (or trying to sometimes it's hard i
> know this) on a particular issue that you might give a note here on the dev
> list so we know where you are working on so this will prevent duplicate
> work...just to prevent an other one to work on the same issue.....or as
> Michael already mentioned create a particular jira issue....etc.
>
> Thanks for joining the work...
>
> please don't hesitate to ask questions things you might no understand or
> which are not clear ...about the things in Maven ...
>
> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise
>

> On 9/30/15 10:51 PM, ivange larry wrote:
>
>> Hi Micheal,
>>
>> Thanks a lot for the tips. I look forward to be an active contributor in
>> the community. Will create PR or patches soon. I am still getting to know
>> the project (i mean the code for maven) and how it works. To become
>> familiar with the code base i have started by studying how to build maven
>> plugins so that i can get more inside of maven. Any more tips for a new
>> comer like me will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
>>
>> Larry
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 6:56 PM, Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Am 2015-09-28 um 22:40 schrieb ivange larry:
>>>
>>> Hi all

>>> First of all greetings to Cameroon and great someone else wants to help.
>>> There are only a few of us.
>>>
>>> I did a git clone on this url

>>> Basically, yes.
>>>
>>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/ contains the canonical Git repos hosted
>>> by
>>> the ASF. Repos hosted on GitHub are read-only mirrors for convenience.
>>> Assume you have found an issue or would like to share an improvement:
>>> create a JIRA issue first. Clone from GitHub, make your changes. Name the
>>> commit by the "[JIRA-ID] desc" and push to a branch of your clone to
>>> GitHub. Create a PR. The rest is left to us. We will review and
>>> merge/reject. After a successful merge, we will target and close the JIRA