> On Oct 13, 2015, at 10:45 AM, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I am just accustomed to seeing the whole graph in M2Eclipse and excluding,
>> refactoring and locking things down while I’m running tests. I get
>> everything working and then don’t think about much until a required
>> dependency change causes something not to work and I track it down again in
>> the Dependency Hierarchy View, fix it and carry on. Trying to fix these
>> issue without an interactive tool like the Dependency Hierarchy View is
>> going to take you 10x longer. It’s really not productive.
>
> In this case, someone did hoist it up and lock it down. Unfortunately,
> someone else then upgraded SCM, and didn't think or know to consider
> the possibility that upgrading SCM would result in plexus-utils being
> managed down for it. Think about what you are asking people to do:
> every time you change the dependency version for some dependency, you
> must do a full analysis of the entire dependency tree.

Of course. I do not understand why anyone would update a dependency without
understand the impact. I do not randomly update dependencies because of new
version of something was released. I generally have all related projects I care
about in the IDE, examine the graphs, make sure all the tests work, and use it
for a few days in known scenarios. Doing otherwise is fairly negligent.

> Absent
> universal use of semantic versioning, I appreciate that this is
> perhaps inevitable, but I bet that 90% of the commits in the maven
> plugins that change a dependency version are not accompanied by this
> analysis. (If the tests of the M-R-P had reached this case, we
> wouldn't be in this situation.)

Universal semantic versioning is possible with some work, but you’re still
never going to know whether a behavioural change negatively affects your
project without looking at it. If you have good tests you probably can automate
trying new versions of dependencies for a smoke test but there’s no magic here,
it’s just work.

> I won't go back to Eclipse due to the many awful things that went
> wrong for me with it and Maven compared to IntelliJ, however useful
> this particular tool might be. I'll be studying the output of mvn
> dependency:tree and possibly adding more display to it as needed.

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder, Takari and Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>> http://twitter.com/takari_io
>>
>> To do two things at once is to do neither.
>>
>> -- Publilius Syrus, Roman slave, first century B.C.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder, Takari and Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

Lastly, "Impossible." The lamest of the lame excuses! Difficult maybe, or
impractical, or too expensive, but rarely is anything impossible.

  -- Yvon Chouinard, Let my People Go Surfing