"You can run maven with Java 8 right now, so it is not a change in any way
for those users."

This equates to ruling out developers who are forced to use older JDKs/JREs
if you look at it the other way.

"I agree that jumping to Java 8 would be unwise. I think we can wait until
4.x. Don’t get me wrong, I’d prefer to use Java 8 and I do for almost
everything else but I don’t think there’s any dire rush."

As per usual, Jason has it right, IMO.

Don't forget Maven is a tool, and as with libs, the decision to push
everything above you upward is a dangerous one. As far as tools go in J
land, they don't come much more foundational than Maven.

Regards,

Fred.