I don’t use the variable myself, I have no way to know who does. But if we
remove it just remove it and don’t replace it with MVN_HOME. To me that’s even
more confusing.

I prefer it not there, but I don’t want to break anyone in a minor version. I
don’t feel that strongly about it. I’ll retract my -1, you get the support it
:-)

> On Jan 27, 2016, at 6:23 AM, Christian Schulte <c...@schulte.it> wrote:
>
> Am 27.01.2016 um 11:02 schrieb Arnaud Héritier:
>> -1
>> See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-5607
>> Ok to introduce MVN_HOME with M2_HOME value as default when defined (and
>> then remove M2_HOME in Maven 4)
>> But replacing M2_HOME by MVN_HOME in 3.4 seems to be a risky change for our
>> ecosystem (IDE, CI servers, ...) and not only for the local user environment
>>
>> WDYT ?
>>
>> Cheers
>>

> The first commit removes support for M2_HOME in 3.4 completely. The second
> commit only renames a variable used in the script. M2_HOME is just not needed
> and is even confusing. People relying on M2_HOME should just setup theire
> PATH properly, IMHO. That's what most of them do anyway. You see
>
> export PATH=$M2_HOME/bin:$PATH
>
> almost everywhere. I am pretty sure there are a lot of people who do not even
> notice that setting M2_HOME to something not matching theire PATH is not what
> they want. Having a 'mvn' script in my PATH and having that script use a
> M2_HOME variable to launch something not in my PATH is flawed. I thought that
> was the reason for the request to remove that variable. No big deal reverting
> those commits, of course.
>
> So +1 for removing that variable completely in 3.4 or whatever version is
> appropriate for such a change.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Christian