For what it's worth, they are *not* equivalent:

The <releaseProfiles /> element only applies to the release:perform goal,
not the release:prepare goal. <arguments />, on the other hand gets used by
both goals.

Thus, the ASF parent has activated the apache-release profile on both
goals, and the Maven parent only activates it for the release:perform goal,
presumably to save on some additional work during the preparation step
(speculation) at the possible cost of delayed notification of problems
which might arise in executing the plugins in that profile.