On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 11:19 AM Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2016 7:41 AM, "Benson Margulies" <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 10:37 AM, Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > > I'm always in favor of adding skip properties. They are very useful for
> > > manipulating builds for debugging, running on CI servers, controlling
> > > executions in child poms, etc. Even if it's not recommended to run
> > > unattended, it's still possible, so a skip option is useful.
> >
> > Me too.  I don't see the point about arguing that some goal 'doesn't
> > belong in a lifecycle'. We can't predict what people will find useful.
>
> Why not add the ability to skip various (named) activities to maven itself?

That exists. It's called profiles... but it's very verbose in the POM. It's
much more pleasant to work with if the behavior of the individual plugin is
flexible through configuration.

A feature could be added to Maven to skip specific named executions of
plugins, I suppose... but that sounds like a feature that would require
some discussion and debate before showing up in some future version of
Maven. The proposal is something which could be done today, which would
work, regardless of the version of Maven you're using, and which is
consistent with similar configurable behavior in countless existing plugins.