Hi,

I know there are several discussions underway in the context of pom 4.1 and
alike. The problem with this is however that it was impossible for me to follow
those threads without putting my paid-work on hold ... a short summary of the
current state would probably be a good Idea to get people back on board ;-)

Last week I had a personal chat with Karl Heinz Marbaise at the
Solutions.Hamburg conference.

The thing is that in Maven a lot of things have been "fixed" recently. I put
this in double quotes, because they have been fixed from a pure Java point of
view, but have broken things for non Java projects. For example the Flex
project had been relying on a "bug" in the resolver that used to treat the
scopes of unknown types as "compile", for a while they have been treated as
"runtime" (which strips out transitive dependencies). After that injecting
project dependencies at runtime by a plugin seem to have been prohibited. Karl
Heinz even mentioned non default scopes no longer producing warnings, but hard
errors now (I can't confirm this as the new FlexJS Maven build is using these
and I have been building this using Maven 3.4-SNAPSHOT for quite some time). If
this is a future plan, this would break even more ... actually this would
completely kill the ability to build anything with Flex.

Now my suggestion was, as soon as Aether is fully integrated into Apache, to
create some sort of extension point, in which projects could inject some sort
of "ScopeProvider". So Maven would work with the normal scopes and break with
any non-default ones, but using a plugin or a maven extension I could add
additional scopes to Maven, where each new scope would probably need some sort
of "ScopeResolver", which would then handle the resolving for that particular
scope.

I guess this would not only help the Flex project, but could help get a lot of
the JS projects back, which seem to be moving to other build systems such as
NPM, SBT, ... more and more.

If there is anything I could do to help make this happen, please just guide me
in the right direction and I'll get to it.

Chris