I reported this for Arquillian, earlier...
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-dev/201608.mbox/%3CCAArU9ia0C7bdvHEMTX3BU%3DChnrb-_chtw8N3xokvKO2_Rnzf1A%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Arquillian also follows that style of multiple type=bom concentrators
which are recommended practice. Even though Maven is the one reporting
this issue, and I was originally kind of irritated about it, I have
changed stance..

I think Spring and Arquillian are actually doing the wrong thing here.
Users of these packages ought to just specify the versions they want
to include in their dependencyManagement section, and allow the normal
Maven dependency resolution to pull in the other artifacts. I think
the type=bom is generally wrong and lazy, without much benefit, and as
we can now see, it can actually lead to unpredictible builds/bad when
multiple bom concentrators reference each other.

I don't think I've seen a more clear piece of evidence for Maven
pom.xml technical debt. :-)