I didn't had dead code in mind. And as Remi explained it cannot be detected on a jar-base, only on an application base. (which reminds me that we also need to have a look at the minimizeJar option of the maven-shade-plugin). My idea was more about collecting all classes required to compile the sourcefiles and verify that of all required modules at least one class is used. In case of "transitive" it should also verify the method-signatures. And yes, in this case I assume that modules which classes are accessed by reflection are optional, which sounds fair enough to me.

Robert