On 1 February 2017 at 10:15, Karl Heinz Marbaise <khmarba...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 01/02/17 10:50, Stephen Connolly wrote:
>
>> But doesn't the shade plugin want to do exactly that... namely attach
>> the shaded jar *to replace* the jar attached by the jar plugin?
>>

> Yes but if the maven-source-plugin does the same and attach a source
> package which means you have two artifacts being attached with the same
> name...
>
> This can in the end result in build failures during a release build where
> those artifacts are being transfered to repo managaer which than blocks for
> the second artifact which is already been there...
>
> The install plugin will simply install the same artifact a second time and
> overwrites on HD so no problem...but deploy plugin will try to upload the
> same artifact twice...

Yes so the bug was where the attach artifacts with the same coordinates as
an already attached artifact *appends* rather than updating

If it was an update rather than an append, then there would only be one
artifact for install and deploy to install and deploy.

This may mean that we need a new API method to update an attached artifact
and issue a warning for the use of the non-update variant, but to allow
existing plugins to behave the intended way (before the change that
clobbered the behaviour and made attach append always) we would apply the
update.