I don't use intellij, but if you are willing to try eclipse/m2e then
there are at least two viable ways to implement "debuggable" integration
tests. Personally I prefer takari plugin testing harness [1]
(disclosure: I wrote the thing, so I am definitely biased).
Alternatively, you can also use Maven Verifier [2] (this is what Maven
core uses). Both ways to run integration tests are supported by my
"Maven Development Tools" set of m2e extensions [3].

[1] https://github.com/takari/takari-plugin-testing-project
[2] http://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-verifier/
[3] https://github.com/ifedorenko/com.ifedorenko.m2e.mavendev

Igor