Am 02/25/17 um 22:55 schrieb Karl Heinz Marbaise:
> Hi,
>
> based on the started discussion about either to bring 3.5.0-alpha-1 to
> Central or not I would suggest to discuss in a separate thread and
> prevent using the VOTE's threads for that (as Stephen already mentioned).
>
> Using Central:
>   o Everybody can use it and make tests on it.
>
> Using an other repository:
>   o Which one?
>
> Using only dist area? Or something different?
>
> WDY?
>
> Based on earlier releases which had been in Central with alpha's:
>
> http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cgav%7C1%7Cg%3A%22org.apache.maven%22%20AND%20a%3A%22apache-maven%22

It's just a matter of naming, IMHO.

3.5.0-RC1
  Should not be deployed to central - just made available for testing.

3.5.0-alpha-1
  A complete release which happens to be classified "alpha".

Back when Maven 2 got released, almost all plugins were classified alpha
or beta.

If we want to ensure no one is embedding an alpha release and then not
upgrade to the non-alpha release, we maybe should log a warning upon
execution (This is an alpha release bla bla bla) and remove that warning
before releasing 3.5.0.

Christian