Jenkins build is not flaky: it is strict on dependency resolution from cache,
which is an intent, not a bug

that's why I don't like changing default plugins versions:

1. depending on default plugins versions is a bad practice: IMHO, having old
plugins helps people know that they should not rely on it

2. people who do a "dependency:go-offline" with a previous Maven version but
run
offline with updated Maven version will see their build fail and report about
dependency:go-offline not being reliable, which is technically not true, but is
sensitive to Maven version (something that is hard to explain)

On the first objection, it's a question of choice on how to promote the good
practice about explicitely choosing your plugins versions

On the second objection, I had an idea of Maven core improvement that would fix
the go-offline dependency on Maven version used: what if Maven core
distribution
did contain a (read-only) local repo with default plugins already resolved?

With such a feature, go-offline would not be dependant on Maven version used
(starting from the Maven version that has this pre-built repo). And user would
better see the default dependencies by looking at this pre-builot repo =
something I'm sure they will do (but they don't have a look at lifecycle
definition files, which are opaque for them)

I didn't have time to work on implementing this idea, I suppose this would
just require a new default repository with file://${maven.home}/default-
plugins/ url, and to fill this repo at build time with appropriate go-offline

WDYT?

Regards,

Hervé