I would like to move this to the next major version of Maven.
Now it is the (package-)type of the dependency which decides if it should be on the classpath or not. I don't think that's correct, it should either be the compiler-plugin or the specific packaging plugin. (Maven itself should not be aware of the programming language, so having "classpath" references in Maven-core shows small design choices I would disagree with right now) And even though the spec says zip and jar files are allowed on the classpath, we've rarely heard somebody complaining about the missing support for zip-files.

Robert