On Tue 16 May 2017 at 22:40, Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.bout...@free.fr> wrote:

> Le lundi 15 mai 2017, 07:20:08 CEST Stephen Connolly a écrit :
> > On Sun 14 May 2017 at 08:51, Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.bout...@free.fr>
> wrote:
> > > thank you Robert: this is exactly the logic I was looking for, and
> > > explanation
> > > of changes over time to improve user experience through
> reproducibility.
> > >
> > > Now the question is: should we change default plugin versions in Maven
> > > core?
> > > Does it improve Maven or not?
> >
> > I think we should.
> >
> > If we don't update, we have a more complex ux for new users.
> >
> > We already say to pin versions (iirc we even log warnings)
> >
> > If people choose to ignore the warnings of a build being at risk of
> > differential behaviour... they get what they configured: differential
> builds
> > > To me, changing default plugin versions lowers reproducibility.
> >
> > Which is why we warn users... and the warning is there *to allow us to
> > upgrade*
> >
> no, for these default plugin bindings, there is no warning, since the
> default
> binding defines a default version: that's the magic that happens with
> minimal
> poms.
>
> The warning happens only when a new plugin is used without version.

Hmmm then that must have changed at some time because I am 99% certain that
at some point in time there was a warning of plugins in the default
lifecycle did not have a version specified...

But I recall at some point I lost the ability in the versions-m-p to detect
that "normally" on the 3.x line (perhaps from 3.1.x onwards... I cannot
recall)

I think we should restore those warnings then.

> Then no, I don't see what "more complex ux" is there for new users.
> This upgrade of default lifecycle plugin version looks to me just a big
> misunderstanding on the expected benefit (or loss IMHO)
>
> > > And it does not help users learn that they should define their own
> plugin
> > > versions instead of depending on the magic defaults that have to be
> > > included
> > > in Maven core to permit basic poms.
> >
> > This sounds like an argument that we should add a CLI flag turn downgrade
> > the current warnings back to warnings and escalate them up to errors by
> > default.
> >
> > > Then in general, if we have found a bug in a plugin with default
> version
> > > that
> > > hits users using this default basic poms, we should update the version:
> > > good
> > > default behaviour requirement surpasses reproducibility over Maven
> version
> > > expectation.
> > >
> > > But if a plugin default version upgrade is just to have newer defaults,
> > > IMHO,
> > > we sacrifice reproducibility and teaching to users that basic poms are
> > > just a
> > > quick start but should soon be extended to manage explicitely plugins
> > > versions: is there a good reason to sacrifice this? I don't find any
> good
> > > reason: the sooner user discovers that he's using old plugins, the
> better.
> > >
> > > What we should give him are easy to discover and learn recipes to
> manage
> > > his
> > > plugin versions: for example through a basic neutral parent pom with
> > > newest
> > > plugins, or a BOM pom. Maybe there are other ideas.
> > > Yes, neutral parent pom or BOM pom are to me good ways to improve Maven
> > > for
> > > users: not changing default plugin versions in Maven core.
> > >
> > > Do I miss an aspect that should be taken into account?
> >
> > I've been through this path with Jenkins. My considered opinion is it is
> > better to just upgrade. We provide a path to lock down versions. We have
> > warned users for ages.
> no, definitely not on default plugin bindings: this is a magic that not
> many
> people understand, and I don't think upgrading default version will improve
> this understanding.

Well if the warning was lost then yes, we would first need to restore the
warning... then we can move to start upgrading again.

> > An alternative could be to leverage the prerequisites value as a selector
> > of the version defaults... though that would be re-enabling it for
> > non-plugin packaging ;-)
> yes, this could be a solution: that would give a meaning to this
> prerequisites
> field in case of non-plugin packaging.
> But it would be more complex than just providing a parent pom, or an import
> pom

Yes... and we've just told everyone to stop using it... but I do see it as
a good solution.