Hervé,

on classes branch, splitting the jar into individual .class has IMHO a big
> drawback: we loose original jar and its signature

Agree. Git doesn't care about timestamps for classes in jars. Java doesn't
either, but SHA1 (etc) of the jar does.

Thus - the next iteration will reproduce even the timestamps of a resulting
jar.

> On the other branches, the current poc shows commits for versions that are
> perfectly linear: if there are multiple branches that are released in
> parallel, the commit won't be so clean. I don't know if this will have an
> impact on compression efficiency.

They can go in any random order (I tested) and Git achieves the same over
all saving.

> Another issue with this idea: during development, with SNAPSHOTs, the git
> repo
> will be polluted: this idea IMHO could only be valid for releases

That's true. I'm really only focussed on the bring-down-from-maven-central
cycle. Obviously I need an answer for the on-workstation workflow which
inserts into ~/.m2/repository/ too.

> not to speak about read concurrency when one requires to use multiple
> versions
> of a lib. And of course, write concurrency is even harder.

I'm not following, dude.

- Paul