On Sat, 05 Aug 2017 22:05:22 +0200, Karl Heinz Marbaise <khmarba...@gmx.de> wrote:

Hi Robert,

On 04/08/17 10:55, Robert Scholte wrote:
Hi Karl Heinz,
this can happen when the plugin configuration contains a fixed value for arguments, i.e
<arguments>-Dkey=value</arguments>
If you want arguments to be extended via commandline argument, you need to do this:
 <arguments>-Dkey=value ${arguments}</arguments>
 <properties>
   <arguments/> <!-- default empty -->
</properties>

Thanks for your explanations...

So that means the configuration for the maven-release-plugin must be done before to support expanding the arguments like I expected..

So on the other hand the maven-release-plugin documentation for the arguments property:
http://maven.apache.org/maven-release/maven-release-plugin/prepare-mojo.html

say only: "Additional arguments to pass to the Maven executions, separated by spaces.".

So I have expected to simply set the arguments property and the additional parameters would have been added to the Maven invocation..

So this looks like a documentation issue from my point of view...what do you think ?

This has nothing to do with the maven-release-plugin, this is how parameter resolution works in general.
I think you've been fooled by plexus-utils release compared to asf, see:

https://github.com/apache/maven-pom/blob/trunk/asf/pom.xml#L89
https://github.com/apache/maven-pom/blob/trunk/asf/pom.xml#L212

Robert

Kind regards