Hi,

short answer: to be able to compile Java 9 projects, you must use the JRE from Maven (i.e. JAVA_HOME must point to JDK 9).

The long story: asm-6.0_ALPHA is based on an old format of the module-info file. Only a few weeks ago asm-6.0_BETA was released. There was over a year between these 2 versions and I think is was relatively soon after ALPHA that the format was changed. The first solution I had implemented was using QDox during also during test to read the module-info.java, which is not correct. Test should be using the compiled version, i.e. module-info.class. So I implemented a reflection-based implementation and replaced it for QDox. This implementation uses reflection to access the module-descriptor. But this means that Maven must be running with Java 9. Toolchain doesn't help here.

Right now I have the code ready to replace this. I also have started a new project called plexus-languages[1], which has plexus-java. This contains JRE/JDK related code which is used my multiple plugins / libraries.
Most important: this code is NOT related to Maven!

One of the most important features: based on a JavaModuleDescriptor and a set of jars + output directories and can make an accurate separation for modulepath and classpath. Any feedback is appreciated.

thanks,
Robert

[1] https://github.com/codehaus-plexus/plexus-languages