Document what you think the policy should be and we'll go from there.

My (current) preferred policy is:

    There is no automatic deployment of snapshots. Developers can manually
publish snapshots on an as needed basis and if they require downstream
builds to pick those up then they need to configure the downstream jobs
with the explicit timestamped snapshot version.

The above, IMHO, leads to the least amount of confusion as to why specific
builds are failing, but it does not provide as nice a user experience as I
would like.

Ideally I would like each branch name to be able to pull the latest
snapshots from matching branch names of other repositories in the org
folder where the artifacts were captured by Jenkins in the "verify" phase
or by using a different "deploy" plugin. That would enable the CI server to
manage the lifetime of those artifacts and trigger cross-repository
dependencies. The end developers would not see these CI only artifacts, and
would have to build and install locally. This has the advantage that your
local build always uses what you locally installed... you don't have to
worry about starting the next day and doing `mvn clean install` on the repo
you were trying to debug... going to make a cup of coffee... and coming
back to find stuff not working because you didn't see Maven doing it's "oh
I haven't checked for newer snapshots in 24h, I last checked yesterday
morning... oh look a new snapshot, let's ignore the snapshot that was
installed locally at 4pm yesterday" and replacing your locally installed
snapshot with the latest from the CI server.

But anyway, that is my opinion and rationale. We are a community, my
opinion should not dictate what the community wants to do.

I do feel that we need to write down and document what our policy actually
is before we try and implement it.