Sorry, I have to repeat myself because of undelivered message(s) to Maven
mailing list.

For clarifying the Surefire goes with Java 6. If you want to run your tests
with JDK10 or lower you have to specify the system property
-Djdk.home=/path/to/jdk10 and the you will see that the tests pass. Go to
target/surefire-reports and failsafe-reports and target/it/** and check the
"java.home" and you will see your /path/to/jdk10.
One more remark I got the Jenkins working [1]. The whole problem was with
the call withMaven() in Jenkinsfile. After I switched back to withEnv() the
logs, InterruptedException has gone!
I reported several improvements that Olivier did not like to improve but I
think there is no any significant showstopper for 2.21.0.
I will now talk about the Jiras improvements with Olivier in GitHub and I
hope we will make the release soon!

I still do not understand what codeline you run and why you have problems
with runtime if I did not have several months and I tested with JDK8 u162,
u132, u121.
Please post a link to your codeline because I highly doubt that you are
testing the identical code with me!

[1]: https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-wip/job/maven-surefire/
job/SUREFIRE-1489/

For better clarification 2.21.0 is using modulepath - we have integration
test for Jigsaw modularity and modulepath is activated for JDK 9+.
NPE was fixed in 2.21.0 - check the release notes.
We are no more calling the problematic method from commons-lang3 which
caused NPE. This does not require any upgrade of commons-lang3 till 3.0.0.
Please follow the build [1].

Cheers
Tibor