Hi Mark,

On 13/04/18 21:20, Mark Raynsford wrote:

First it would be good to know which Maven version are you using? And on which JDK you are running?

Hello.

Is there any way I might speed up Maven? I've been using it for years
and, for the first time, I'm actually executing it from an IDE rather
than using the IDE's built-in compiler. It seems like there's a rather
large and apparently fixed amount of overhead per invocation. Take the
following "could not be simpler" project:

   https://github.com/io7m/maven-minimal-20180413

Maybe I misunderstand you ...are you running it from plain command line or from inside your IDE ?

What are you memory settings? How is your JDK configured ? Which command line options ? (MAVEN_OPTS?):??

I piped the output through tai64n [1] to give a better indication of
exactly how long everything is taking. That's a project that compiles a
single Java file and produces a jar. It doesn't run any tests, it
doesn't include any resources. 16 seconds total execution [2]!

Unfortunately I don't have tai64n on my Mac but based on simple tests with your project I can run the whole project in about 1 Second for the whole build...

Now for an infrequent command-line build, that's not *too* obnoxious.
For a "click a button in the IDE because I want to try this bit of code
now" build, that's a world of suffering.

It seems like Maven first spends ten entire seconds doing not very
much. That cannot be attributed to JVM startup time (Hello World on my
system takes about 100ms to reach user code, and even the largest Java
application I still takes less than a second to reach user code after
all the classes have loaded).

Depending on your JVM and the configuration that can be quite large different time on startup...there are several configurations which can be used to improve that...

Is there anything I can do to cut this down? If not, is this something
that's intended to be addressed in the near future?

I'm doing from time to time analyzes based on performance / Memory...but I'm interested to do more here...

[1] http://cr.yp.to/daemontools/tai64n.html
[2] The Maven output claims 6 seconds, but that doesn't include the
     time it took for the build to start.

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise