I'm maintaining Doxia and maven-site-plugin for a long time, trying to keep
the prerequisites (for end users particularly) as low as possible when I don't
have a strong win on upgrading.

Currently, maven-site-plugin (which is what users see, without knowing much
about Doxia) requires Java 6 only.
With Doxia 1.8 / maven-site-plugin 3.7, in fact, there is a little trick: one
Doxia module (Markdown) requires Java 7, because of the library used, and I
documented how one can downgrade this module if he strictly require to use
maven-site-plugin 3.7 with Java 6.
But for sure, when building maven-site-plugin, I didn't try to add a profile
to be able to build with Java 6: Java 7 is required to build maven-site-
plugin.

Honestly, for Java 6, maven-site-plugin 3.7 is the last version: now it's time
to drop it and require Java 7 if you want newer version of the plugin.

Then I'm full ok to upgrade Doxia requirement for Doxia 1.9 and maven-site-
plugin 3.8 to Java 7.

On httpunit, AFAIK it's only for Doxia tests during its build: I don't have
any issue with building Doxia with Java 8 to produce jar that require Java 7
only.

Regards,

Hervé