On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 8:00 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.bout...@free.fr>
wrote:

> Le vendredi 18 mai 2018, 22:36:20 CEST Rob Tompkins a écrit :
> > > On May 18, 2018, at 3:30 PM, Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org>
> wrote:

> > > What is wrong with the current Maven Release Plugin and why are you
> > > writing your own whereas we could improve the current one, can't we?
> > We are trying to fit the Apache release paradigm where we are dealing
> with
> > assemblies that we don’t want to deliver to Nexus. Further we are
> > publishing the site up to our dev dist area for comparison with RC
> > validation. We could contribute it back to the release plugin, but I’m
> not
> > sure if it’s sufficiently general. Thoughts?
>
> IIUC, the "release plugin" from Commons provides 3 mojos to prepare 3
> assemblies: it does not replace "release plugin" from Maven, which
> modifies
> pom.xml to switch from -SNAPSHOT to release version then to next SNAPSHOT
>
> How is Commons release plugin used during a Commons release vs Maven
> release
> plugin?

Please see "Create the Release Candidate with the Commons Release Plugin."
here: https://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html

Before our plugin, you had to follow "Create the Release Candidate
Manually" (same page).

I'm not sure what is done under the covers WRT the Maven release plugin.

Do Commons use "mvn release:prepare" then "mvn release:perform", and
> the build in the release profile runs the 3 mojos to get the 3 assemblies?
>
> Because what I see in this Commons release plugin look like custom steps
> add to Maven release plugin, in addition to currently provided ones: as
> Robert
> wrote, there is a WIP in Maven release plugin to document how to add new
> steps. The Maven release plugin is already organized in steps, to be
> flexible,
> but just has not documented how to add new steps.

It would be great to iterate with the Maven team so that we can make
releasing Commons component easier. It's a giant pain ATM IMO. Creating a
release candidate [1] is "easy" compared to what has to happens after a
successful VOTE [2]. It should be easier instead of 50 steps.

Gary

[1] https://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html
[2] http://commons.apache.org/releases/release.html