ok; didn't read Karl Heinz email: perfectly explained in MPOM-186, both what's
the expected benefit (JDK 9/10 support) and requirement updates (minimum JRE
7)

I don't see any issue with requiring JRE 7 to run Maven: in my last poll, the
vast majority of people upgraded to Maven 3.5 for color :) , then have JRE 7

We'll just document that change

Regards,

Hervé