Hi,

sometimes the maven-plugin-plugin fails to write the plugin descriptor and exits with the exception below. I see the same unreliable behavior on our Jenkins servers too, re-running often fixes the issue. I have seen the issue several times locally when running with mvn.cmd, so far never with mvnDebug.cmd and always running with default #threads.
I can't find a reason why elementStack[1] gets out of sync.

If there are others experiencing the same or similar issues, please share your analysis.
Hopefully we can solve this instability issue soon.

thanks,
Robert

[1] http://codehaus-plexus.github.io/plexus-utils/xref/org/codehaus/plexus/util/xml/PrettyPrintXMLWriter.html#L40

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugin-plugin:3.5.2:descriptor (default-descriptor) on project maven-javadoc-plugin: Execution default-descriptor of goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugin-plugin:3.5.2:descriptor failed. NoSuchElementException -> [Help 1] org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugin-plugin:3.5.2:descriptor (default-descriptor) on project maven-javadoc-plugin: Execution default-descriptor of goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugin-plugin:3.5.2:descriptor failed

Caused by: java.util.NoSuchElementException
    at java.util.LinkedList.removeLast (LinkedList.java:281)
at org.codehaus.plexus.util.xml.PrettyPrintXMLWriter.endElement (PrettyPrintXMLWriter.java:297) at org.apache.maven.tools.plugin.generator.PluginDescriptorGenerator.writeDescriptor (PluginDescriptorGenerator.java:175)