Hi all,

here are my 0.02 € on the two issues/PRs that went into Surefire 3.x
already.

*SUREFIRE-1546  "JUnit 5 display names"*

Both, supporting "@DisplayName" and therefore also backporting
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SUREFIRE-1546 to the 2.x branch makes
almost *no* sense to me. Surefire (and every other testing tool out there
using
the XML format defined by Ant) suffers the same limitations as the JUnit
Platform
ConsoleLauncher: display names may be used on the console when logging
test run progress or results to the user in a human-friendly manner - but
display
names in XML / text reports as (unique !) identifiers will either break due
to file
system constraints or cause downstream processes choke. See this answer
for some more details [1].

I support having this feature as an optional feature, as suggested by Tibor.
Users who know what they do, may enable it at their own risk. Further work
should be directed to [2] "Define a standard for test reports" -- everybody
feel
invited to contribute!

*SUREFIRE-1614    "**JUnit's Vintage Engine* *corrupts Surefire's STDOUT*
*"  *

Changes made in [3] are not numerous. Methinks, if there was a Surefire
2.22.x
branch, then commit [4] could be cherry-picked to it and Surefire 2.22.2
released
shortly after that.

Tibor, on which commit would such a bug-fix branched be based on? [5] or
later
to also include Java 11 support?

Cheers,
Christian