Hi,

My basic question is can a code base compiled entirely with maven built
artifacts need any dependencies not defined in the pom?

Background on my issue:
I have been unable to find technical documents describing how dependencies are
resolved based on the code base.

I am working for a company who is transferring legacy code to maven. These
projects can contain dozens of mystery jars. I can get the applications up and
running using mavens dependency information, however my higher ups want me to
include all the mystery jars even if they do not appear to be required.

While playing with a decompiler and trying to curdly map the dependencies
myself, I have discovered there are many imports which the maven configuration
does not satisfy. This could easily be explained if maven uses an inheritance
tree to map source code files. i.e.

project1: A->B->C   &   D->B->E
project2: F->A

                In this scenario project2 would require A, B, and C, with no
need to import D and E.

It would be great to get confirmation that this is how maven works, or else I
may be forced to fill the companies nexus repository with garbage.

Thanks,
Jozsef Morrissey

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you think
you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender by reply
e-mail and then delete this e-mail immediately. Thank you. Aetna