Hi Tibor,
as I already stated I was completely unaware of this whole TLS-not-being-supported-below-1.2 anymore issue. And i just tried and build maven-release successfully with JDK 7 Update 80, but using the UK mirror eplicitly in my settings. I just tried it on my laptop with maven 3.6.1 and JDK 7 Update 80 and not using the UK mirror and i get, as expected:

Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Received fatal alert: protocol_version

OK, then I provided -Dhttps.protocols=TLSv1.2 and it worked. Still, for the plugin i suggest to change lines 265/266 of POM to

<https.protocols>TLSv1.2</https.protocols>
<arguments>-Dhttps.protocols=TLSv1.2</arguments>

since no other TLS version makes sense here, IMHO.  Then there would be no need to provide a property when running the release plugin with JDK 7.

Cheers, Clemens