I would argue the opposite, maven/surefire gives you configuration and
control over what to files to look at for tests, and potentially what
files to ignore/exclude.

IntelliJ is just a blunder bust for searching '*', but yes might be
seamed as more user friendly.

For some projects I've both surefire unit tests and failsafe
integration tests in 'src/test/java', but IntelliJ just executes both
and so often the integration tests fail as I've not setup the pre
reqs.

In large code bases it good to have tests within files names including
the word 'Test' as you might have other helper utils/classes also
within 'src/test/java' that support those tests. So when searching or
navigating the codebase you know which are which.