I think you agree that the thesis has no bearing on the actions that
Dependabot recommends.

Worked Dependabot example
https://github.com/jbehave/jbehave-tutorial/pull/19/files (I consumed this
one for the JBehave team).

^ That was not copyrightable. It is not *original expression*, if it was
and Dependabot beat me to an upgrade, and did not also grant me a copyright
for the same, I would be legally prevented from effecting the same upgrade
be retyping the same two-character change. Patch upgrades like this are in
the "obvious" and "could not be done any other way" that are decades old as
considered dilemmas and well and truly answered in law. The alternative
would be skip 1.4.6 as an upgrade and wait for 1.4.7 - hoping to beat
dependabot to the punch??