I guess the reasoning goes something like this: "I am a plugin developer,
and I want to release a number of changes, a sub-set of which are "breaking
changes". Since all my changes are not ready at the same time and I want to
avoid releasing several major versions close to each other (assuming
semantic versioning is used), I use milestones, to lead up to next major".

- Eric L