Master is now in great shape.
There is a PR to update to 8.23, but as Benjamin says I would not commit
that change now

https://github.com/apache/maven-checkstyle-plugin/pull/24

If now one objects I will send the VOTE email tomorrow or within this week
current git sha is f0b96ab98437149486771df879a23e5740090f0c

Thank you again Ben for helping with this

Enrico