Java modules is going to compound this problem we already have.  If
projects can't get on board with correctly structuring their
GroupID/Artifacts then why would they use good naming conventions for the
Modules?  Without good naming conventions, the risk of collisions
increases.  Manfred's referenced problem, of having multiple versions of
the same dependency in the same classpath, is only going to become
impossible with Java Modules.

 Maven is at an optimal position within the community to prevent module
naming from going haywire and becoming useless.  I believe these two issues
are intrinsically linked.