Even though we release the Maven APIs together with Maven Core (with the same
version), for plugins there are close to no changes.
The biggest changes of Maven APIs are from 2.2.1 to 3.0 and 3.0.5 to 3.1.0
With this in mind, having almost all plugins depending on 3.0, it makes sense
to start moving to 3.1.0
I don't see any benefit to require a higher version of Maven.
And it doesn't come with extra maintenance costs.
So there must be a better reason, e.g. if a plugin requires a specific
implementation of Maven, (like the upcoming maven-wrapper-plugin).
I'd created a page to migrate plugins to Maven 3.0 and I thought I prepared on
for 3.1.0 as well, but can't find it.
One benefit of requiring Maven 3.1.0 is replacing the plexus annotations with
JSR330 since this is the current standard, much better to understand for the
average developer.
(not the Maven Plugin Annotations!)

Robert

[1]