Il Dom 10 Mag 2020, 17:49 Robert Scholte <rfscho...@apache.org> ha scritto:

> Hi Enrico,
>
> These could all be solved by firing events.

Yes
I see your point.
Unfortunately those are the first points that I have instrumented in order
to see some data.

> And there's another benefit: since there won't be an API, we don't need to
> maintain it,or be afraid of mistakes.

Exposed metrics won't be an API, or at least something to be maintained.
Each Maven version, component version, plugin version may expose any metric
is valuable for the component developer or for the users.

Exposed metrics are not an extension point, it is not expected that a
MetricsProvider is able to alter the behaviour of Maven.
Events/Extension point must be maintained forever, but you can drop/add a
metric at each release. They are very low level tracking points in code.

This is because I say that metrics are like loggers: you add logs where you
think it is useful, you can change log point at every version, there is not
strong contract with the user, logging implementation is totally pluggable.

The Metrics API is mostly the contract with Metrics Provider developers.
It will be very stable, I don't think there will be many changes in the mid
term.
It is only about the ability to give a name to counters, summaries and
gauges.

Having a simple implementation that dumps the final values at the end is
not the full power of this mechanism.

You can attach Prometheus or any other time series based metrics database
and see the evolution of the build, this will be very useful for long
running builds and especially on CI or during component development.

I will finish the implementation with Prometheus and try to create a
Grafana dashboard.

It would be super useful that some Maven-internals experts could suggest
useful values to track during the execution of the build.

I hope that explains better the value of the Metrics system.

Thank you Robert for your feedback and help

Enrico

To me this is the wrong approach to embed metrics.