Hi all,

Following up on MNG-4660 (Use of --resume-from in multi-module project fails with missing inter-module dependencies), Martin Kanters and I have been working to make resuming a build even easier by introducing --resume. In fact, this is not our own idea, it has been in JIRA for quite a few years already (MNG-5760). We've thoroughly discussed the approach and the solution with Robert Scholte.

When a build fails and it would make sense to resume the build, Maven would write a new file target/resume.properties and fill it with the exact groupId:artifactId and a list of projects that can be skipped in the resuming build. The latter is there because the failing build may have been a parallel one, or it may have had --fail-at-end; as a result, some modules in the build may have been built successfully.

We came up with two pull requests:

* https://github.com/apache/maven/pull/342 - introduces the new switch and the BuildResumptionManager, a new core component that is responsible for generating and processing the aforementioned target/resume.properties file. * https://github.com/apache/maven-integration-testing/pull/61 - adds two integration test cases that verify the new feature works as expected.

Michael Osipov has already provided some feedback. Martin and I would appreciate if someone else could also review those changes.

Thanks in advance,

Maarten Mulders