Hi Keith,

If you look at the historic releases, once a minor version has been bumped
there have been no more releases to the previous minor version for 3.x, see
https://maven.apache.org/docs/history.html

For major version releases, maven 1 and maven 2 did have an overlap where
1.1 got released after 2.0.7. But the same overlapping releases didn't
happen for maven 2 and maven 3.

You mention the current version 3.5.3. I considered 3.5.x tech debt and out
of support already. I upgraded from 3.5.3 to 3.6.1 upon its release and it
worked for my projects, so I skipped 3.6.0 as during testing of 3.6.0 it
had some issues with some projects so didn't upgrade. Also upgrading little
and often means a tidal wave of tech debt doesn't build up so you're only
spending 5% on going upgrading, instead of having to spend 100% for a few
weeks/months/year taking out new functionality.

Personally I consider all Open Source projects to be Rolling Support even
if they don't explicitly state that. As most volunteers probably won't be
interested in backporting bug fixes or investigating issues with older
releases where that works on the latest release. Even with commercial
support, my experience of Oracle support for WebLogic was the first
question they asked was have you upgraded to the latest maintenance release
and does it still have issues. But at least with Oracle if you have paid
for support they will investigate the version you need to use if you're not
able to upgrade.

Sorry it's not a definitive answer regarding v3.5.3 support. I'm working in
a similar situation where software versions where older than they should
have been and tech debt was left for far longer than it should have been,
so most projects are just upgrades at the moment.

John