On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 6:53 AM Robert Scholte <rfscho...@apache.org> wrote:

> Here's my unpopular response: I'm not going to invest in attribute support
> for Maven.
> If the verbosity of the pom.xml is the first thing people complain about,
> well, then Maven is doing a pretty good job (if the build itself had
> issues, one would complain about that first, right?).
> By having elements only it is much easier to maintain Maven.
> It'll remove discussion as to: what would be an attribute and what should
> be an element? Can it be based on required versus optional? Allowing both
> for the same "fields" is probably a recipe for disaster.

That's simple IMO and what we usually do at my day job: XML elements and
attributes are like Types (Classes) and its attributes (instance
variables). It does not need to be more complicated than that. FWIW, I'm
baffled at the suggestion that optional vs. required has anything to do
with this.

Gary

I'll leave it up to tools like polyglot to do some the transformation from