I'm still clicking around trying to find the piece of code I'm interested
in. I've found

MessageDigest(string).getInstance(“SHA-1”).update(various), but not
succinctly how it links to the upload/publish process.

I've already made the change I want for GraknLab's
"bazel-distribution" (Python) bazel rule for publishing to maven central (
commit
<https://github.com/TrunkBasedDevelopment/bazel-distribution/commit/3088b69bb95f0c222d1fd50ac3efc8e464d99c30>)
and also for the official bazel rule "rules_jvm_external" for the same (
commit
<https://github.com/TrunkBasedDevelopment/rules_jvm_external/commit/829879d87bfeabb99acc6f31ef9a8f6f8f6113fe>
-
Java). Those were 80 and 100 LoC changes.  The Python one (of course) is
closest to the pseudocode I wrote above.

Maybe my alternate approach to making the same change (my own forks) is
adding a breakpoint the actual upload method and working backwards to note
all the moving parts and work out how many method signatures would need to
change in multiple abstractions/impls and module's to achieve this.

What's the 2021 best-practice for cloning all core maven modules in one go,
and loading that all into Intellij meaningfully.  It is not svn co
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/trunk/ anymore is in?

- Paul