thinking about plexus-utils case: only XPP3 class is shared by Maven core
Then I imagine that it that dependency is filtered at runtime, many calls from
plugins to other features of that lib will fail...
If you don't beat at me, I'll try to test tonight

Another idea: would marking libraries as "provided" in plugins just do the
job? Of course, each plugin would require to apply this best practice, which
will take longer time...
need to test also...

Regards,

Hervé