Hi David

Thank you for summarizing the problem, let me explain some details:
1. "The business application is not exposed" - true
2. "The maven build environment might (can’t confirm at this point)
download a transitive dependency on log4j 1.x" - this is true, build
environment and maven-dependency-plugin in particular is downloading log4j
1.2.12.
It is true that runtime is not affected, but it will be definitely better
in log4j 1.2.12 dependency is completely removed. I changed the previous
example to show that maven-dependency-plugin is indeed affected.

https://github.com/jveverka/mvn-dependency-log4j/commit/ac87977c19bb2ee2564d15fa87f255d621a4706d

Can you send me the list of affected projects?  I will try to prepare pull
requests to remove log4j 1.2.12.

Thanks

Best Regards

--