Hi Jeremy. We're talking about the possibility of a drop-in replacement.
But what you're suggesting requires alterations to the code, and having
struggled with JAXB and its many unofficial plugins I can vouch for the
difficulty in doing that.
Perhaps it would have been easier if OpenJDK took responsibility for
providing the packages and the plugin and setup a nice document somewhere
to explain, but that's not what I found.

Anyway, today I'm sitting with a version of izpack that depends on the
Pack200 compression class removed from JDK17. Ok, so just add
https://github.com/pack200/pack200 right? Oh, but izpack expects
java.util.jar.Pack200 not io.pack200.Pack200. Should I update izpack? Yeah,
and I've tried twice already, and will try again. Also tried rebuilding the
izpack version from source, but it doesn't match with what was released.
Next I'll try shading, etc, etc.
Suffice to say there are issues.
Delany